Income Tax Calculators.
Tax and Finance Calculators

Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF)

What is Turnover Tax?

Turnover tax is a system aimed at making it easier for a micro business to meet their tax obligations. The turnover tax system replaces Income Tax, VAT, Provisional Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Dividends Tax for micro businesses with a qualifying annual turnover of R 1 million or less. A micro business that is registered for turnover tax can, however, elect to remain in the VAT system.

How is Turnover Tax Calculated?

So, turnover tax is worked out by applying a tax rate to the taxable turnover of a micro business. The rates are applicable for any year of assessment ending during the period of 12 months ending on 28 February 2018:

Turnover (R)Rate of tax (R)
0 - 335 0000%
335 001 - 500 0001% of each R1 above 335 000
500 001 - 750 0001 650 + 2% of the amount above 500 000
750 001 and above6 650 + 3% of the amount above 750 000

Who is Turnover Tax for?

Turnover Tax, as stated earlier, is for micro businesses with an annual turnover of R 1 million or less. The following taxpayers may qualify:

  • Individuals (sole proprietors)
  • Partnerships
  • Close corporations
  • Companies
  • Co-operatives

Who doesn’t qualify to be registered for Turnover Tax?

A natural person or company may be excluded from the Turnover Tax regime if: 

  • The shares are held in an unlisted company
  • More than 20% of the receipts are derived from rendering a professional service
  • The taxpayer is a personal service provider or a labour broker
  • If the company's financial year end is not on 28 February
  • If the any of the company's shareholders is not a natural person.

When should an application for registration be submitted?

It should be sent before the beginning of a year of assessment (a year of assessment runs from 1 March to 28 February), or a later date that may be determined by the Commissioner in a Government Notice. 

The timing differs slightly for new registrations and existing registered businesses:

New businesses:

Should a new micro business start trading during a year of assessment and wishes to register for turnover tax, an application must be sent within two months from the date that the business started. 

Existing businesses:

Existing micro businesses can register for or switch to turnover tax before the start of a new tax year.

You can send the completed form to your nearest SARS branch.

How does deregistration work?

Voluntary deregistration:

A person may elect to voluntary de-register before the beginning of a year of assessment or a later date announced by the Commissioner in a Government Notice. Deregistration will be effective from the beginning of that year of assessment.

Compulsory deregistration:

You may be forced to deregister if your turnover exceeds R1million for a given tax year or certain qualifying criteria are no longer met. In the case of a compulsory deregistration, the business will be deregistered from the beginning of the month following the month during which they no longer qualify for turnover tax.

A point to note is if a person has been deregistered (volunta

What is UIF?

The Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) is a system that gives short-term relief to workers when they become unemployed or are unable to work because of maternity, adoption leave, or illness. It also provides relief to the dependents of a deceased contributor.

The UIF act provides the benefits, to which contributors are allowed, and the imposition and collection of the contributions to the UIF, respectively. This came into operation on 1 April 2002.

Who is entitled to UIF?

All employees, as well as their employers, are responsible for contributions to the UIF. However, an employee is excluded from contributing to the UIF if:

  • Employed by the employer for less than 24 hours a month

  • Receives remuneration under a contract of employment.

  • Employed as an officer or employee in the national or provincial sphere of Government

  • Entered the Republic for the purpose of carrying out a contract of service or apprenticeship within the Republic. If upon termination, the employer is required by law or by the contract of service, apprenticeship or by any other agreement or undertaking, to send home that person, or if that person needs to leave the Republic

  • The President, Deputy President, a Minister, Deputy Minister, a member of the National Assembly, a permanent delegate to the National Council of Provinces, a Premier, a member of an Executive Council or a member of a provincial legislature

  • A member of a municipal council, a traditional leader, a member of a provincial House of Traditional Leaders and a member of the Council of Traditional Leaders.

What steps must I take?

Any employer, who is registered with SARS for Employees Tax needs to register to pay UIF contributions.

The following employers must register at the UI Commissioner’s office for purposes of paying UIF contributions, an employer who:

  • Doesn’t need to register with SARS for Employees’ Tax purposes

  • Hasn’t voluntarily registered with SARS as an employer

  • Pays or is liable to pay remuneration to an employee must contribute on a monthly basis to the UI Fund.

  • How much do you need to pay?

  • The amount of the contribution due by an employee, must be 1% of the remuneration paid by the employer to the employee.

  • The employer must pay a total contribution of 2% (1% contributed by the employee and 1% contributed by the employer) within the prescribed period.

The maximum earnings ceiling amount means that the maximum contribution which can be deducted, for employees who earn more than R14 872 per month, is R148.72 per month.

  • Excess amounts shouldn't be included as remuneration or levied amount for the purposes of UIF contribution.

  • The amounts deducted or withheld must be paid by the employer to SARS on a monthly basis

  • A unique Payment Reference Number (PRN) will be pre-populated on the EMP201 form, and will be used to link the actual payment with the relevant payment declaration.

How and when should it be paid?

It must be paid within seven days after the end of the month during which the amount was deducted. If the last day for payment falls on a public holiday or weekend, the payment must be made on the last business day before the public holiday or weekend.

An offence is committed if a person fails to:

  • Submit a return or document to SARS

  • Issue a document to a person as needed.

  • Register or let SARS know of a change in registered details

  • Keep records as needed

  • Submits a false certificate or statement

  • Refuses or neglects to take an oath or make solemn declaration.

A person convicted of any of these offences may be liable to a fine or imprisonment for a period not more than two years. 

Contributions Payable

The contribution that employers must deduct from a worker's pay is 1% of the worker's total earnings, excluding commission.

In addition to the 1% deducted from the worker, the employer also contributes 1% for every worker that they employ.

The total contribution paid to the UIF is therefore 2%.

Example 1

If a worker earns R3 000 per month, the employer must deduct 1%, namely R30. In addition, the employer must pay R30 for that worker. The total of R60 must therefore be paid to the UIF or SARS.

Earnings Ceiling

Workers who earn more than the annual, monthly or weekly maximum earnings ceiling must also contribute to the Fund, but their contributions are worked out on the maximum earnings ceiling.

Example 2

If a worker earns R10 000 per month and the monthly earning ceiling is R1 096 per month, the worker's contribution will be worked out on R8 836.

ry or compulsory) from turnover tax, they may not be registered as a micro business again.

What records should be kept?

The main advantage of turnover tax is the reduced record-keeping requirements.

The following records must be kept:

  • Records of all amounts received
  • Records of dividends declared
  • A list of each asset with a cost price of more than R10, 000 at the end of the year of assessment as well as of liabilities exceeding R10, 000

To take account of the typical expenses incurred by a micro business and to eliminate the need for detailed recordkeeping of deductible tax expenses, the turnover tax rates are significantly lower than the tax rates under the standard tax system.